Home   >>  Beijing Travel Guide   >>  General Info   >>  Beijing's Location

Beijing's Location

 

Beijing is located on the western coast of China on the Pacific Ocean. Beijing stands at the northern tip of the North China Plain. Tiananmen Square in the center of Beijing is situated at 39O56' North Latitude and 116O20' East Longitude.

 Beijng location map

Beijing lies at approximately the same latitude as Philadelphia in the U.S. and Madrid in Spain. Greater Beijing has an area of 16,808 square km, and a population of 11 million. About half of the people live on the outskirt of the city. The city is 39% flat land and the other 61% is quite mountainous area.


Beijing is surrounded by the Yanshan Mountains on the west, north and east while the small alluvial plain of the YongdingRiver lies to its southeast. Beijing faces the Bohai Sea, and the area is also called the Beijing Bay.


In China, Beijing is one of the three mega - cities under the direct jurisdiction of the central government, and it is dividedinto 10 districts and 8 counties.


Beijing enjoys a moderate continental climate. The average yearly rainfall is about 600 to 700 millimeters. Much of it falls in late June, July and August. Spring in Beijing is dry and dusty, summer rainy, winter long, sunny and dry. The best season in Beijing, as in many other parts of China, is autumn.

About Us | Terms & Conditions | Site Map | Privacy | Copyright to MyBeijingChina.Com 2004-2010